Sunday, May 15, 2016

Woman Ambassadors in Indonesia

In the past few years, Indonesia has had the honour to welcome a number of very inspiring woman ambassadors. To get to know them betterm What’s New Jakarta recently reached out to H.E. Mrs. Anna Aghadjanian, the Ambassador of Armenia to Indonesia, and H.E Mrs. Johanna Brismar Skoog, the Ambassador of Sweden to Indonesia, to discuss about living in Jakarta, women in Indonesia,  and work & life balance. 

woman_ambassadors_in_Indonesia

H.E. Mrs. Anna Aghadjanian, the Ambassador of Armenia to Indonesia (left) H.E Mrs. Johanna Brismar Skoog (right)

What were your first impressions about living in Jakarta?

Anna Aghadjanian: One thing I can say for sure is that one can never be prepared for Jakarta. No matter how much you read, watch pictures and videos, talk to others who have travelled here, Jakarta comes as a surprise.

I have tried many times to describe Jakarta to my family and friends. Then, at some point, I gave up, and now, when someone asks me ‘So, what is it like, living in Jakarta?” my reply is – you have to come and see it. And those who did, agree that it is the only way to try to comprehend this fascinating city, with all its vibe, and charm, and noise, and diversity.

Johanna Brismar Skoog: I really like Jakarta. It’s fast-growing, chaotic and a bit of an acquired taste, but I love the weather, people are very friendly and smiling and I always feel very safe, compared to most other places I’ve lived. Sure, traffic can be challenging, but this is a megacity and I suffered traffic jams in Brussels, London and NY too. But I’m looking forward to better infrastructure and more reliable public transport in the next years. Sidewalks would be nice too. My area is green and beautiful and my garden an oasis where I have breakfast in the mornings and relax during weekends.

As a high profile working woman, how do you balance work & family?

Anna: I sometimes wonder whether ‘high profile working men’ are asked this question… In my case the balancing has been made easy by my most supportive and understanding husband, who has accepted my job the way it is, and even made a very big and, I am sure, difficult decision, to take some time off his work and come with me to Jakarta, where he stayed until a few weeks ago (he just got back to work in Germany).

Johanna: Both I and my husband are career diplomats, and together we have three children that are now (almost) grown-up. It hasn’t always been easy to both pursue our careers, since we move around and the Swedish embassies are usually not big enough for both of us. We have both taken leave of absence from time to time and worked for the United Nations or the EU, and I have also taken long maternity leaves when the children were young, a great opportunity given to Swedish parents. I am very grateful that the Swedish government has been promoting work and life balance as well as gender equality since the 70s, which makes it easier/possible to combine career and family. For instance Sweden has an extensive welfare system where parents are entitled to share 480 days, or around 16 months, of paid parental leave when a child is born or adopted. I work hard and am ambitious, but have always seen to it that I go to school plays and parent conferences. My family is fantastic and we try to do fun things together, like vacations in new places or just hanging in our summer house in Sweden. Our children still always want to come along.

What are your opinions about Indonesia’s women in the workforce and in government?

Anna: I have had the privilege of meeting some amazing women, whose support and cooperation have made my job and life so much easier and more enjoyable. Indonesia and Indonesians should be proud of their women and I can only hope that their numbers, both in workforce and the government, keep growing.

Johanna: I’m impressed by the number of highly qualified women in leading positions that I meet in government or in the business community. Often I’m the only woman on the Swedish side of the table, while the Indonesian side has at least one third. I also see a lot of young, ambitious and very qualified women in the new generation, both applying to positions in the embassy or going for master degrees to Swedish universities. However, this is Jakarta, and I know that girls in remote areas still have a longer way to go before they have the same opportunities.

What has been the main focus of your country’s relations with Indonesia?

Anna: We opened the Embassy in Jakarta at the end of 2013, and I have had the rare privilege to be the first ambassador. We have been working closely with various Indonesian counterparts to identify most beneficial areas of cooperation. Government cooperation, exchanges of visits, parliamentary cooperation, development of the legal framework, student exchanges, cultural programs, are all parts of the bilateral agenda. One of the focuses is encouraging tourism (both ways), where we have already achieved a significant increase in numbers.

Johanna: Trade and trade promotion takes up a lot of my time. There are already over 80 Swedish companies active in Indonesia, but many more are interested, particularly in energy, infrastructure and the digital economy. We help them understand the country, get the right contacts and open the door to government institutions or agencies. However, my role is also to increase relations in all areas. This year we will celebrate Press Freedom day here with UNESCO, show Sweden as a tourist destination, showcase Swedish culture through Java Jazz, Europe on Screen and the Indonesian Opera Society. There is a growing interest from Indonesian students to do their masters in Sweden and we support them. Working with issues of tolerance, women’s equality and CSR is always stimulating.  

Any favourite Indonesian foods?

Anna: I like most of the things I have tried so far, but I have no doubt that there is still so much more to explore in the cuisine. I am a great fan of ginger, and there a lot of wonderful drinks made with it and I am sure that I will take those recipes with me wherever I go.

Johanna: I like many of the desserts, Es Campur and most things made with glutinous rice paste and coconut and palm sugar. Of course also a good satay is always nice. I still keep looking for the wonderful chicken cooked with coconut and lemongrass in banana leaf, maybe from Sulawesi, that I once had.

Any favorite places in Indonesia that you have visited?

Anna: We are trying to see as much as possible and to explore the country, but of course in a place so diverse and so big we will hardly be able to see everything. One thing I can say for sure – Indonesia will never cease to fascinate. Every new place is so different from what you have seen before and I cannot wait to see more.

Johanna: During many of my official trips I see too much of meeting rooms and too little of the countryside. Of course, Bali is always a favorite – last week I went to Amed for the first time; incredibly beautiful and relaxed. I had a fantastic vacation in Bunaken last year, and Borobudur is also breathtaking. I would really want to have more time to discover all the beautiful islands on Indonesia.

And lastly, what do you miss most about your home country?

Anna: The change of seasons and walking. And my niece and nephew, of course!

Johanna: Long summer evenings when the sun sets at 22:30, with family and friends in our summer house in the south of Sweden. Swedish food, like hard cheese and game meat and picking wild strawberries…

 



from What's New Jakarta http://ift.tt/27qxMRP
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment