Saturday, May 14, 2016

Profile of The Month: Eko Widiyanto, Executive Chef Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang

chef eko

Tell us a little bit about yourself

I’ve been in the job for more than 25 years. I first started my career in ‘Fine Dining Room’ in Kemang, then went to work in Bali for a few years, until I finally moved back to Jakarta to work for Grand Hyatt Jakarta, which lasted for almost 15 years. Until I got the executive chef position in Arion Swiss – Belhotel Kemang, until now.

What inspired you to be a chef.

My dad used to be a chef too, which inspired me a lot. I knew that there’s always a demand for chefs, because everyone needs to eat! I enjoy the job, I love the dynamics, and I never had any problems working long hours. It’s something that I never felt burdened to do. It is a part of me. Everyone at work is my second family, because I spend most of my waking hours here.

Your specialty?

Before I got this position here, my specialty was more in western food; with my experiences in multiple outlets in the hotel. Once I got here, I had though that as Kemang is famous for where westerners like to be. But every time I make a western food promotion, it never did so well compared to my Indonesian and Asian dishes. Our specialties here include the crispy fried duck and Sop Buntut. These are two of the most popular dishes here.

Most unique experience.

I was once challenged by a TV show, to make home made pasta, incorporating Indonesian elements. So I made rendang pasta; which was surprisingly good.

Is there any other Indonesian dishes that you’re interested to highlight?

Indonesian food is a lot more complicated than the general western food; because Indonesian food has specific spice blend for each dish, which is not interchangeable. While for western, has more simple base. For me, I simplify Indonesian food by preparing home made yellow, white, red paste –the three basic Indonesian spice blend that I precook for more than 6 hours.

What do you do in your spare time?

Trying out new food or restaurants; because for me, food, is like fashion. It gets ‘trendy’ and also ‘outdated’. Especially for us chefs, we need to know what’s hot, and what’s not. If not, the customers we’ll leave us, because they always want to try new things. My family love to do it too, fortunately, everywhere we go and travel.

Who cooks at home?

My wife happens to be a chef too, so she cooks, although only on weekends. We are hardly at home, so our kids know how to take care of themselves, food-wise.

Your word for any aspiring chefs.

Anybody can be a chef now, internet, TV shows, these are things that were not around when I was learning to be one. Taste everything around you, try new things. Take advantage of it all to enrich yourself and broaden your knowledge and your palate. That’s very important.

To try Chef Eko’s delicious dishes, come down to Swiss Cafe to try his sumptuous takes on Indonesian and Asian fares. The Swiss Cafe offers international and local dishes, serving both buffet and a la carte menu options.



from What's New Jakarta http://ift.tt/1TgqOY9
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment