Monday, September 12, 2016

Profile of The Month: Nicola Scaramuzzino, Gran Melia’s F&B Director

nicola_scaramuzzino_granmelia_jakarta

Nicola Scaramuzzino is no stranger the Bali hospitality world. Having worked and lived in the island for more than 20 years, he finally decided to make a big change and moved to the ‘big durian’ Jakarta, to assume a new position as the F&B Director of Gran Melia Jakarta. What’s New Jakarta recently caught up with the lively Italian for a one and one interview.

Why the move from Bali?

20 years of Bali is a very long time. when I arrived in Bali that time, the area that I lived in wasn’t even paved. Now, it has just as much traffic as Jakarta. A lot has changed. In my previous work in Mozaic, because my work was in Sales, I also had some kind of gentlemen agreement to give it a few years time to be away from my Balinese customer based. At the same time, I had the opportunity came up to join Gran Melia, and this is another great challenge for me because I actually have never worked in a hotel! There are a lot of improvements that can be done here, and that’s what I’m here for.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.

One thing for sure is, my life is always full of changes. If you read through my CV you would probably think I’m schizophrenic! I have lots of passion and interest, and I want to try it all. For a start, when I was younger I studied natural science, but then my diploma was in computer programming, but later in life I found my career in hospitality industry. I came to Bali as a travel agent for Italian tourists, and I helped the business grow exponentially because I like to explore new places, new things to do and try. To places people never went before, that Indonesian have probably never heard before. I believe that it doesn’t matter what you do, as you long as you’re passionate about it, you’re good to go.

Your philosophy in the food industry?

A dinner is not a meal, it’s an experience. I believe that when people come to an upscale place, such as those in 5 star hotels like Gran Melia, you are looking for an experience. You don’t want to cut corners for things that matters, for example, home made gelato and a cup of good espresso to end a meal. If you think about it, no matter how good your meal was, if it’s ended with a crappy dessert and crappy coffee, you will only remember your meal as being crappy! It surely costs more from our side, but simple small things, that are often overlooked like this, that is essential if we want to make a lasting impression. And in the long run, this is more profitable for any business.

What are your plans for Gran Melia?

The first plan is to upgrade this coffee shop, which is now a work in progress. I’m trying to build this place based on how it looks, and who are customers. El Bombon, which used to be a quarter of this size, full of smoke in an obscure corner. Then we decided to move it this spot, overlooking the beautiful garden. This is the best spot we have, why not we utilize it? Secondly, make and serve what people want. I want to cater to my customers. If the customers that come to El Bombon want Sop Buntut, then we’ll have it in the menu. Especially with our great location here, surrounded by lots of office. I want people to come down from their office and come here to have a nice lunch over here and relax.

What drew you to Indonesia the first time?

I actually didn’t have a clue I was coming to Indonesia. It’s funny because when my boss at that time told me that I was going to Bali 20 years ago, I thought he meant Bari, a town in Italy! I did not have a clue where Bali was that I had to actually open up a thick atlas to locate it. That was my first time in Asia, and I never looked back ever since other than a brief stint for a few months in Australia. I’ve gone through all kinds of crisis that Bali had gone through; the 1998 financial crash, and also the horrendous Bali bombing which still leaves a trace of trauma for me, just as for everyone living in Bali at that time.

What are the most memorable places for you in Indonesia?

Everywhere you go, Indonesia is amazing. The Dayak Kenyah in Borneo, with the long ears, where I also saw the river dolphins. Gunung Leuser in Sumatera, where I saw wild orangutan, Etna Bay in Irian Jaya, it’s endless. I came from Italy, where 90% of world’s art trickles from, where we’re always surrounded by beauty. That’s why when I go to beautiful places like Borobudur, I’m always in awe, and can see the beauty here in a totally different perspective.

What is your style of management?

As I have mentioned, I can be very sporadic, and the people that works with me probably needs to be able to read my mind! But I promise there’s a method to my madness, that’s is just the way my mind functions.

What excites you the most about your job?

Looking forward to tomorrow. The creation of new things. New ideas. How can I improve what I did today.

Do you consider yourself creative?

Not at all. I would love to be creative! Someone is creative when they can translate ideas into concrete things; I have big imaginations, so always have millions of ideas in my mind, but are limited in ways of manifesting it, that’s why I need my team for that. That’s why I dedicate a lot of time to condition my team to be in sync with me.

How do you like to unwind?

I go party and clubbing a lot still, having a good time and go out with friends. I love loud music.

What kind of music do you like?

My iPod has everything from Opera, classical music, heavy metal, etc. I listen everything in all I do. I hate silence!

5 words to describe you?

I’m handful. That covers everything!

What’s New Jakarta would like to thank Nicola and his team for the time spared for this interview. For more information about Gran Melia Jakarta’s dining outlets, visit their website. 



from What's New Jakarta http://ift.tt/2cAwqkc
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment